Can not send sms frm kannel

Amr Qanadilo //AMC//

Hello all,

I am very new to kannel. I have mnaged to configure the kannel gateway over my secure VPN connections. Thanks for all your help.

now i have a different problem. i am starting kannel (bearerbox) and it is connecting to the server (SMSC) as well. i am starting the smsbox and it shows that it gets connected to the bearerbox also. but when i try sending SMS nothing happens. i have a confusion. i know that sendsms needs to be accessed to send SMS. now, i have placed one copy of sendsms from /root/kanel/gateway- 1.4.1/contrib/ to one of  my domain's cgi-bin directory(I did not find the file anywhere else so i guess it remains there only). kannel doc tell me that by default kannel expect the sendsms to be in this path /cgi-bin/sendsms. i do not have a cgi-bin directory in my root ("/" i guess stands for root in linux) so i had no way but to put it in this directory. now, i am trying to use the php based admin that comes with kannel .

i have configured the config.inc also. (both my kannel.conf and config.inc are given here) but, nothing happens when i put a number and press send. no log is shown (i run kannel with -v 1 option) and also msg is not delivered. i fell in another confusion when i saw in the doc it writen http://smsbox.host.name:13013/cgi-bin/sendsms ?sername=foo&password=bar&to=0123456&text=Hello+world will send a msg. what is meant here by smsbox.host.name  what value should be here according the senario i described? i am puzzled. can anybody please advise. i have tried to figure out by reading the doc. but i am puzzled..can anybody share with me practical experience regarding this?

Thanks in advance.

Amr Qanadilo

Re: Can not send sms frm kannel

Alejandro Guerrieri
Amr,

You're confusing things. Kannel creates a "virtual" file
/cgi-bin/sendsms that has nothing to do with your regular web server
(that listens on port 80, while kannel listens on the port you've
configured on the kannel.conf file). You won't find the "sendsms" file
anywhere in your path, but if you access the uri:

(Assuming that you use "localhost" or your host IP if you're accessing
from another machine for "myhost" and the port configured on
kannel.conf on "myport")

You'll get a response from kannel. This is what the docs call "the
sendsms interface".

BTW, Kannel should NOT be placed in any web-accesible path. It's
composed of a group of daemons/services that should run using an
unprivileged user and out of web space.

Please read the docs again if not sure.

Hope it helps,

Alejandro

--
Alejandro Guerrieri
Magicom
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/aguerrieri

Re: Can not send sms frm kannel

Kurilco95
Hey, it was helpful as I am also new to Kannel. Thanks a lot for the answer. Well, I might upgrade soon to some other vpn and had the problem with my free VPN. So your answer will be helpful for me. Well, I came across hidemyass vpn review and have decided to purchase this service for hiding my identity.